Tuesday, September 21, 2010

2nd Entry

Business, the stock market, and the autumnal equinox. Briefly define the equinox and describe why it is scary for the stock market. Give 3 examples of things that have happened at this time.

[First off, I just want the record to show that I am confused as hell about what the above means. So I'm taking it as a literal sense and I hope that I am not missing some sort of secret meaning of the fall equinox.]

The equinox is the point in time where the day is as equal as the night. At 4 times a year, at about the season changes, the center of the sun is directly above a set point on the Earth. And the only thing I found scientifically that would come close to disrupting the stock market was the fact that because of this "alignment", some satellites gain interference and malfunction for a few seconds, so I'm sure someone sitting on Wall St. would want up to date second by second information to make the correct transaction.
History would show that around this time frame, the October "massacres" of 1978 and 1979 (8 straight days of heavy negative volume), the Mini Crash of 1989 (UAL almost being bought out), and the 1997 Asian Collapse (which didn't seem as interesting as the rest). History repeats itself, but I say its just a conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment